Dreamcicle Delights Smoothie Recipe for your Brunch Table
Dreamcicles. They evoke childhood memories and now appear as a lovely smoothie recipe for your brunch table. One never gets tired of the combination of orange and cream. And these lovely beverages have a little secret. I used a short cut that I am going to teach you.
I used coconut nut milk ice cubes (recipe to follow) to give just the right amount of creaminess, and flavor. I love having a bag of these on hand for frozen drinks. Ice tends to water things down. These are made from young Thai coconuts and homemade nut milk. 1 coconut (flesh plus liquid) to 1 cup nut milk goes into a high speed blender and is blended until smooth. Pour the mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze. Once frozen, place the cubes in a storage container in the freezer.
I love having a batch of these on hand. You will always have a nice creamy, frozen drop of goodness to toss into your drinks. I prefer to use a young thai coconut over canned coconut milk because it hasn’t gone through processing and refining. Canned coconut milk also tends to have other ingredients added. By using a fresh young coconut, you are getting a whole food which we all know is greatly desired over processed food and will have more nutrients intact.
Now for our lovely drink worthy of any brunch table, we are going to take our coconut nut milk cubes and combine them with fresh squeezed orange juice.
Blend away, taste for sweetness and be prepared to become addicted. I am. For a fun twist, the orange/coconut mixture can be blended with sparkling water for a festive drink!
Coconut Nut Milk Ice Cubes
- 1 young Thai coconut, flesh and liquid*
- 1 cup home made almond milk
- Place all ingredients together in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into ice cube trays and freeze until solid.
- Store in the freezer for when ever you need to add a little pop to your smoothies.
*I usually get 3/4 cup flesh and 3/4 cup water from a young coconut.
- 4-6 cubes coconut nut milk cubes
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- Place in high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth. Be careful to not over-blend as the ice will melt.
- Taste for sweetness. Add liquid sweetener of choice if desired.
*You can also add sparkling water for a festive treat.