Energy Boosting Breakfast Shake
Shannon, my assistant, came strolling in last Tuesday with a very interesting looking drink in her hand. It was a sage green with a little purple hue. I asked her what was in it and was blown away with the level of nutrients that were in her glass! Chia seeds, young coconut water, hemp seeds, mango, banana and spirulina. Not expecting it to be that tasty, I asked for a sip. Boy was I wrong. It was delicious.
I am still working on easy raw, vegan breakfast recipes and I knew that I could turn this drink into a wonderful breakfast shake that can be made ahead! I incorporated a whole young coconut, meat and water, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and flax seeds. A couple of teaspoons of spirulina, some frozen mango, strawberries, and blueberries were also added. And the final topper that really popped the flavor, some fresh mint!
Nutritional Heavy Hitters:
- Flax: The number one whole food source of lignans which help fight cancer and prolong survival for cancer patients. They are also a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, and contain iron, zinc, copper, calcium, potassium and other much needed nutrients.
- Chia Seeds: Another great source of omega 3’s. They are loaded with protein, fiber and other antioxidants.
- Hemp Seeds: Even more omega 3’s healthily balanced with omega 6’s. They are another great source of fiber and protein. They also are high in GLA’s (gamma linolenic acid) which has been proven to help balance hormones.
- Spirulina: A blue green algae that provides protein and many antioxidants. It is a concentrated nutrition power house that is easily digested. Spirulina has 10x the beta carotene of carrots! It even contains B12.
- Young Coconut: More potassium than bananas, electrolytes, lauric acid, which is (antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal), coconuts are a great addition to your diet.
- Mango, Strawberries, Blueberries: Vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants, phytochemicals, need I go on?
I have been making a batch of this energy boosting breakfast shake and freezing them in jelly jars! Take the jar out of the freezer and put it into the refrigerator the night before you want it for breakfast. It will ready to power up your day in the morning!
You can find out more about Shannon at Shensounds.com
- 1 young Thai Coconut, meat and liquid
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons spirulina
- 2 sprigs fresh mint (I used peppermint)
- Place coconut meat, coconut water and water in blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
*You can drink immediately or freeze and unthaw by placing in the refrigerator the night before you want to drink it. Make sure you leave a little space in the top of the container for expansion if you are going to freeze.