Jicama Salad with Peanut Curry Sauce
If you haven’t had a jicama, you are missing out on a real treat. Jicama has a texture somewhere between a potato and a pear, with a slight sweetness. It is 86-90% water and is very hydrating. It has a very mild taste..somewhat reminiscent of apples and makes a great addition to salads. High in vitamin C and with no fat, one cup contains only 45 calories. Enjoy it in this salad with a flavorful curry peanut sauce. This is a summer favorite around our house.
- 1 large jicama, cubed
- 1 cup pea pods, chopped
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 peanut curry sauce
- Peel and cut jicama into 1/2″ pieces.
- Cut pea pods into 1/2″ pieces.
- Combine jicama, pea pods, raisins and scallions.
- Stir in 1/2 cup peanut curry sauce.
Peanut Curry Sauce
- 3/4 cup peanuts, soaked
- flesh from 1 young coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Open young coconut and drain water out. Reserve water. Remove flesh.
- Place 1/4 cup coconut water in blender or Vitamix.
- Add the flesh from the coconut, 3/4 cup raw peanuts that have been soaked for at least an hour, curry powder and salt.
- Blend until smooth.