Healthy Breakfast Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats
Overnight oats have been around for a very long time. The idea is simple. Mix your oats with milk and spices, leave overnight to soak and soften and in the morning you have a wonderful bowl of delicious, creamy oats. A lovely healthy breakfast awaits you.
I have been intrigued by overnight oats for quite a while. Fall is one of my favorite seasons and the flavors of fall are a great addition to an overnight oat bowl. I am still on my pumpkin, a nutritional superstar kick so this recipe uses super healthy pumpkin purée, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, raisins and maple syrup! The addition of chia seeds adds protein, omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, and other nutrients. Super simple, super good, super nutritious. And you won’t believe how creamy the oats are.
To get the most nutritional punch, sprout, dehydrate and flake your own oats. You can make a big batch and once they are dried, just use as you would normal oats. But this recipe works with regular rolled oats, just fine (not raw). You can buy sprouted oats here: Sprouted Rolled Oats.
You can use raw pumpkin purée (just purée pumpkin in the food processor or blender), or in a pinch canned (not raw). I used fresh almond milk.
- 1 cup raw oats (see raw oats)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other favorite non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée (from a sugar pumpkin)
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, chia seeds, and spices.
- Whisk together almond milk and pumpkin purée.
- Stir almond milk mixture into oat mixture. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
*You can gently warm the oats stove top in the morning.