Pear Parfait with Salted Cinnamon Caramel and Cardamom Cashew Cream
When ever I am feeling the need for inspiration, I head to the farmer’s market. I loved going to the farmer’s market in Minneapolis but at this time of year, all that was left was pumpkins, and other very fall veggies. Living in Northern California has opened up a whole new world for me. I have lemons and limes growing in big pots on my deck which is a HUGE thing for a Minnesota girl who up only saw lemons and limes in grocery stores. My basil is going strong, we have rosemary bushes surrounding the house and while my mother is putting her garden to sleep for the winter, my bougainvillea and roses are going crazy!
Peter, my husband (and as newlyweds, I never get tired of saying that!) is the best farmer’s market sherpa. We loaded up the bags and off we went just down the road to Danville where they have a wonderful Saturday market.
While some of the veggies I was looking for are now out of season, the grape selection was over the top. I scored some of my favorites that taste exactly like grape bubble gum. Crazy. Living where we live, so close to wine country and the central valley, we have an amazing variety of grapes.
I scored beautiful walnuts in the shell that had just been picked, pomegranates, huge raisins, ripe pears, and a lovely olive loaf. We even indulged in a gluten-free vegan pizza on a delicious thin crust made especially for us. I really need to master those thin crusts one day.
When I got home, it was the walnuts, pears and pomegranates that were calling to me. I put together a delicious dessert for you that is easy to make but fancy enough for company. And when you pair pears and pomegranate with a cardamom cashew cream and a salted cinnamon caramel the flavors just sing!
The best part? I finished the parfaits and immediately put together a delicious salad with the pears, walnuts, pomegranates and a maple-dijon dressing! I will be posting that recipe on Thursday. So this week, you get the proverbial two birds! Sweet and savory. But of course, dessert first.
And here is the best news. After Thursday, the next recipe that is posted should be on the new site! I can’t wait to show you what we have been up to!
Cardamom Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked at least 6 hours, rinsed and drained.
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- small pinch Himalayan salt
- Place cashews, water and maple syrup in high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add cardamom powder and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Remove to bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3/4 cups walnuts
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Coarse chop walnuts with sugar.
Salted Cinnamon Caramel Layer
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch medium coarse Himalayan salt
- Soften the coconut butter.
- Whisk together all ingredients.
- If the caramel starts to set up too much, just warm it again and re-whisk.
- 1-2 pears
- 1 pomegranate
- Cardamon Cashew Cream
- Salted Cinnamon Caramel
- Chop pears and stir in enough cardamom cashew cream to coat pears.*
- Place a tablespoon of walnut/sugar mixture in the bottom of parfait glass.
- Layer cardamom pear mixture next. Top that with more walnuts, and another layer of salted caramel.
- Finish with a dollop of the pear mixture. Sprinkle walnuts and pomegranate seeds on top.
*You may have leftover cardamom cream but it will freeze well.