Pear Salad with Dried Cherry Vinaigrette and Macadamia Medallions
Raw food doesn’t have to be boring, tasteless or difficult to make. Raw food can be gourmet, easy and fabulous. I started working on this salad for the upcoming transitional book but it was so good, I decided to do a full raw version for you, here! You are going to love this salad. Bursting with flavor, gourmet enough for your best dinner party or simple enough for tonight’s dinner. I can’t seem to stop eating it.
I started with dried cherries and made a simple vinaigrette with lemon juice and shallots. Chop up the pears, add them to the greens, toss with the vinaigrette and top with….wait for it….the macadamia rosemary medallions! The result? A deeply complex flavor that will satisfy even the pickest eater! The rosemary compliments the dried cherries and pears in a way that delights the taste buds. There is a to die for variation of this in the upcoming Transitional Raw Food book being released next week.
Macadamia Nut Medallions
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, soaked at least 6 hours, rinsed and drained (you are soaking the nuts for texture, do not omit this step)
- 1/2 lemon, juice from
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Himalayan Salt and pepper to taste (I barely use a pinch of the salt, more of the pepper)
- Place all ingredients in the food processor. Pulse until light, fluffy texture is achieved. It should look like ricotta cheese.
- Shape in medallions, 1 1/2 inch across. Set aside.
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or raw honey)
- 1 lemon, juice from
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- pinch Himalayan Salt
- pinch pepper
- Place dried cherries, olive oil and lemon juice and agave in blender. Blend until cherries are finely chopped.
- Stir in shallots, pinch salt and pepper.
*Chef’s Note: I like to make this in advance so the flavors can meld.
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1 pear, chopped (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Toss greens and pear together.
- Toss in enough vinaigrette to coat.
- Top with macadamia nut medallions and pecans.