Raw Almond Cherry Macaroons
Coconut oil has suffered from a bad rap for years. But truth be told, it is thought to be the healthiest oil there is and a great addition to your raw food diet. The benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid. It is so healthy that it is said to help prevent bacterial, viral and fungal diseases, support your immune system, support healthy metabolic function, improve digestion, support weight loss, and give you an immediate source of energy. It’s properties are antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, and antibacterial.
But, you say, I thought coconut oil was bad for me? That outdated information is based on a study that was done over 40 years ago. The original study was done on coconut oil that had been altered making it devoid of all essential fatty acids. But more current studies have shown that unaltered coconut oil, once mistakenly believed to be unhealthy because of its high saturated fat content, it is now known as unique and different from most all other fats and possesses many health giving properties. Here is a great way to enjoy your coconut oil!
MAKES APPROXIMATELY 2 DOZEN
- 2 cups dried coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup almonds, processed into a coarse meal
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (cold pressed virgin)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract*
- Place almonds in food processor and process until a coarse meal texture is achieved.
- Add coconut, dried cherries, coconut oil agave and extract*. Process until mixture starts to hold together.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture out and press into a ball.
- Place on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate until desired consistency is achieved. 8 – 10 hours. I like them dry on the outside but still a little soft on the inside!
*The almond extract is not considered a raw food but adds a beautiful punch if you like.