Raw Food Recipe: OMG Pecan Bars
I love creating raw food recipes. Most of my inspiration comes from my own cravings and recipes that I used to make. When my girls were little, I snagged a recipe for turtle bars from a great restaurant in Santa Fe. It quickly became one of our favorites. Later, a recipe from The Barefoot Contessa for pecan bars became an obsession. But with 2 lbs of butter, tons of sugar and cream, it is completely off of my list. That doesn’t mean I don’t think about it once in a while. Like last night as I was falling asleep. And this morning, when I woke up.
Using elements from both recipes (pecan bars and a ganache) this recipe came together beautifully. A tasty crust made from cashews and almonds (that resembles more of a short bread crust than a raw food recipe crust), filling from raw honey and coconut butter and a layer of pecans and ganache. All I could say when I tasted them was…Oh my gosh. What is really amazing about these bars is that no one would ever guess that they are raw. Made from healthy ingredients and no dehydrator required, these simple bars will impress everyone you make them for! And they are gluten free to boot! Note: these are very sweet. A little bit goes a long way.
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- Process cashews to make cashew flour. I did this in the dry container of the Vitamix. Be careful not to over process. You want a light, fluffy flour not butter.
- Process almonds to make flour.
- Combine cashew flour, almond flour and melted coconut oil.
- Press into 8 x 8 pan and place in refrigerator.
- 3/4 cup raw honey (not vegan), or raw agave
- 3/4 cup coconut butter (different than coconut oil)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- Whisk together honey, coconut butter and maple syrup.
- Spread pecans over crust.
- Pour filling mixture over pecans.
- Spoon ganache over top to create a swirl pattern. (recipe here: Chocolate Ganache)
- Refrigerate to set. You will want to keep these refrigerated.