Raw Tropical Biscotti
Many of us are often on the run in the morning. A great way to start the day on your raw food diet is with a green drink. They are quick and very healthy. I love them because I know I have given myself a big dose of much needed greens. It takes some of the pressure off as I try to pack in the nutrients for the day. Still, I am a traditional breakfast lover. As we all know, traditional breakfast is probably the worst way to start off your day. So, how do you replace those cravings and desires with a raw food recipe that loves your body and your body can love? Try the raw versions! Strawberry Crepes are a great alternative to the artery plugging traditional recipe. And this morning, I bring you Tropical Biscotti to enjoy with your morning beverage. With the addition of orange juice and zest, These are bursting with flavor!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (I use the left overs from making almond milk)
- 1 cup ground almonds (ground to a course meal)
- 1 cup dried coconut (get this at the coop, unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 large orange (use all the juice and as much zest as you can)
- Hand chop or roughly chop in food processor, the apricots and the pineapple. Set aside.
- Place 1 cup of almonds in food processor and pulse until a coarse meal is created.
- Add almond flour and coconut. Pulse until just combined.
- Add agave and pulse until combined.
- At this point, remove mixture from processor and place in bowl. Add orange juice and zest, combine by hand. Mix in chopped fruit and currants.
- Form into biscotti shaped loaves and dehydrate 8 hours.
- Cut into 3/4 inch slices and return to dehydrator and dehydrate until desired dryness is achieved. This is a moist dough so don’t be surprised if it takes a little longer to dehydrate. I like to leave a little moisture in and store in the refrigerator.