Sprouted Red Lentils with Curry Sauce and Kale
I have to admit, I have a thing for soaked and sprouted lentils. The taste is fresh and they have a delightful little crunch, not too hard, not too soft. Simply delicious.
They also pack an amazing nutritional punch. They are a great source of protein, B vitamins and iron. Red lentils tend to be the sweetest of the lentils and also have a wonderful nutty flavor. Lentils are high in fiber which helps improve digestion.
Not long ago I put up a recipe for Raw Chili that used green lentils. I was so happy with that recipe it inspired me to want to try different lentils to see how they worked. Since raw lentils have compounds in them that make them harder to digest, you want to make sure you soak or better yet, sprout your lentils for the best nutritional value.
Red lentils immediately say curry to me. I threw together a quick curry sauce in my high-speed blender and added it to the sprouted lentils. The addition of green onions, massaged kale and tomato turned lentils and curry sauce into a wonderful meal. This is an easy recipe to throw together. Just remember that you have to allow 2 days to sprout the lentils.
*You can buy coconut crystals here: Coconut Crystals
- 1 cup lentils, sprouted
- 1 cup coconut flesh from young thai coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut water from young thai coconut
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon nama shoyu (or soy sauce of choice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut crystals or sweetener of choice*
- Himalayan Salt to taste
- 1 medium bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- pinch Himalayan Salt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions (or green onions)
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 2 days before sprout lentils by soaking over-night in water, then rinsing 3 times a day for another day until tiny tails appear.
- In high-speed blender, blend together coconut flesh, coconut water, garlic, lemon juice, nama shoyu, curry powder, coconut crystals and olive oil.
- In a separate bowl, de-stem kale and tear into bite sized pieces. Massage with 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice and salt until wilted.
- Mix together sprouted lentils, curry sauce, kale, tomato and green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with chopped cashews.