Squash Beggar’s Purse with Pomegranate and Sage
My friend, Farmer Gray, dropped off a huge bag of squash for me a while back. I have been slowly working through all of the little beauties, making tons of great raw food recipes. Today, I decided to make some squash wraps for a little beggar’s purse.. A cashew sage cream sauce is the perfect accompaniment.
These little “beggars purses” are filled with a mixture of pumpkin seeds, almonds, shredded squash, spinach, and pomegranate seeds! Make the wraps the day ahead and you will have a perfect little treat.
- 4 cups peeled and cubed squash
- 2 young coconuts, flesh from
- 1 cup water from coconut
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- Place all ingredients in high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth.
- Spread thin on non-stick dehydrator sheets.
- Dehydrate at 115 for 2-3 hours until dry but still flexible. Do not over dehydrate.
- Peel from sheets, cut into 5″ squares.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (soaked and drained)
- 1 cup almonds (soaked and drained)
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups spinach leaves, packed
- 2 cups grated squash
- orange, juice and zest from
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried sage
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- salt and pepper to taste*
- Place almonds, pumpkin seeds, water and oil in food processor. Process until finely blended.
- Add spinach and process until finely chopped and well incorporated. Remove to bowl.
- Add squash, orange juice and zest, optional agave, and dried sage. Stir to combine.
- Stir in pomegranate seeds and salt and pepper to taste
*I only use Himalayan Salt.
Sage Cream Sauce
- 1 cup cashews, soaked and drained
- 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- Place spoonful of filling in center of wrap. Fold sides up and tie with chives.
- Place spoonful of sauce on plate, and place the “purse” on the sauce.