Broccoli Raisin Salad Done the Raw Food Way
I love to make raw food versions of traditional recipes. One of my favorite salads from the “old” days was broccoli, raisin salad.It is a favorite that appears everywhere. You will find it at salad bars, and potlucks. The original is filled with bacon, mayo and sugar. That no longer fits into my needs for healthy, raw food. I still find myself craving this salad so I decided to make a raw food recipe version. The bacon has been eliminated and the sugar and fat laden dressing is replaced by a healthy cashew based dressing. I am pleased with the results and hope you will be too. No one will ever guess this is raw!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked at least 2 hours
- 1 1/2 lemons (juice from)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 shallot (2 tablespoons chopped)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons agave (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard powder
- pinch celtic sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in Vitamix. Mix until silky smooth.
- 6 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, medium, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Mix together broccoli, raisins, onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- Top with dressing and combine until well coated.