Cauliflower Rice with Fresh Peas and Cumin
Cauliflower. It isn’t a word that makes your heart skip a beat, or makes you start to salivate. But it is a work horse that can don many coats. I have used it as a pizza crust, a base for “stir-fry”, roasted it, made cauliflower steaks in the dehydrator and even made raw mashed “potatoes” with it. I love cauliflower for it’s diversity. You will love it with peas and cumin in this easy, raw recipe that will remind you that spring is right around the corner.
Did you know that cauliflower has wonderful health benefits? It is a cruciferous vegetable, a member of the powerhouse team. It is considered to be a cancer preventer, and Cauliflower also has phytonutrients that can help activate detoxification enzymes and regulate their activity. Can’t beat that! Cauliflower is a good source of Vitamin C and Manganese, and it’s levels of vitamin K make it an inflammatory fighter, too.
With many parts of the country still being savaged by winter, I wanted to bring you a recipe that will remind you that spring isn’t too far away. Cauliflower and fresh peas go beautifully together. When you top everything off with a lemon and cumin dressing, it all comes alive! Give this one a whirl. I know you won’t be disappointed.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes (optional)
- pinch Himalayan salt and pepper
- Cut the cauliflower florets from the stem. Pulse in food processor until the cauliflower is the size of pieces of rice.
- Stir in peas and scallions.
- Whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, maple syrup, and ginger. Pour over cauliflower mixture and stir to combine.
- Top with pine nuts and chili flakes. Salt and pepper to taste.