Raw Corn Chowder with Pumpkin Seeds, Tomato and Avocado
I wanted to share this delicious corn chowder recipe before the sweet corn of summer completely disappears. It was one of my favorite recipes in a past Rawmazing flip calendar. If you haven’t eaten raw corn, you are going to be amazed by the flavor. It is so fresh, so alive! I don’t even like to eat cooked corn anymore.
This soup comes together quickly with a blender or food processor. The super nutritious pumpkin seeds give it a great boost and a fun crunch. Tomatoes, avocado and the southwest seasoning pop the flavor. I hope this recipe becomes one of your summer favorites.
Why We Love Pumpkin Seeds
- They are a great source of magnesium, which is wonderful for your heart.
- They are loaded with omega 3’s…the ones that vegans have more trouble finding but are really important.
- They are a good source of zinc. Zinc is important for cell growth, and immunity.
- They are anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, and contain tryptophan which helps you sleep.
- 5 cups fresh corn (about 4-5 ears) divided
- 1 cup fresh almond milk (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- pinch himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1-2 avocados, cubed
- Place 3 cups corn and almond milk in blender or food processor and process until sooth.
- Add remaining corn and pulse just to break down additional kernels. You want the soup to be chunky.
- Pulse in smoked paprika, cayenne powder, salt and pepper.
- Top each bowl with 1/4 of the pumpkin seeds, tomato and avocado.
- 1 cup almonds, soaked overnight
- 4 cups water
- Place almonds and water in blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove to nut-milk bag and strain.
*You can dehydrate the almond pulp to make almond flour. See: Almond Flour