Raw Tea Sandwiches
I have been creating and shooting around the clock, working on the next Rawmazing E-Book, Frozen Desserts. It is coming together beautifully and will be released soon.
When I am working on a recipe book, I have a tendency to put my head down and lose track of everything else. I often describe it as being in a completely different reality. It’s my cookbook reality and things like stopping for lunch just don’t exist there!
Today, in the middle of shooting, I realized I hadn’t even thought about lunch. I was hungry and I needed food fast. I had some beets and cucumbers in the fridge and quickly threw together these beautiful little tea sandwiches. They are perfect for a quick lunch, or a as a great appetizer for your next gathering. The pine nut “cheese” spread is full of scallions, cucumbers and a touch of tarragon. So simple and tasty I had a hard time photographing them because I kept eating them! Lucky they take less than 10 minutes to throw together!
The filling uses pine nuts which used to be a favorite of raw food recipe folk until the price soared through the roof. But the price is finally coming down…search around I bet you will find them!
- 2 beets
- 1 cucumber (half sliced, half diced)
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 cup cucumber, diced (use the other half of the cucumber from above)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the beets and half of the cucumber into thin rounds.
- Place pine nuts, nutritional yeast, water, and lemon juice in food processor. Process until very well blended.
- Stir in the scallions, diced cucumber and the tarragon.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- You can either make little stacks with the beets and cucumbers, or just place a mound on top of a beet slice or cucumber slice.