Avocado and Beet Salad with Lime Ginger Cumin Macadamia “Cheese”
I had some beets. I had some avocados. And simply because they are such good culinary friends, and they like cumin, lime and ginger, and I wanted a hearty raw salad for lunch, this little gem was born. I honestly don’t have a lot more to say about this one because I need to eat it now. By the way, it’s delicious. And quite easy to make. Did I mention this recipe is great for entertaining?
The raw, vegan macadamia nut cheese is spiked with lime, ginger and cumin. SO simple to make. The only thing you have to do in advance is soak the nuts. Once they are soaked, it goes together fast and is ready right away. Using a mandoline makes the slicing so much easier. My favorite can be found here: Mandoline.
*Note: Slice the beets and avocados and get them in the marinade before you start the cheese.
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, soaked at least 3 hours, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lime, juice from
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Place all ingredients except scallions in food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely chopped and hold together when pressed.
- Mix in scallions and set aside.
- 1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice from
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Whisk all ingredients together.
Salad and Assembly
- 4 small beets (I used candy cane beets but any will do)
- 3 avocados
- macadamia “cheese”
- 1 cup micro greens tossed in left over marinade (I used pea shoots)
- Thinly slice beets and avocado. Place in marinade while you make the macadamia cheese.
- Remove beets and avocados from marinade and layer on plate.
- Top with macadamia “cheese” and micro greens.