Kale and Cabbage Salad
I love this kale and cabbage salad. It is fresh, tasty, healthy and keeps beautifully! The best part is that it has so much going on, it easily makes a satisfying meal. Full of nutrient dense kale and cabbage, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries, you can really sink your teeth into this one.
Kale is one of the greens that you should be including in your diet. Kale is a nutritional star! Full of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins B6, K, C, A and phytonutrients. It also has lutein, which is great for your eyes! Don’t be afraid to cook some kale too as it’s vitamin K levels increase a ton. I like to eat both raw and cooked to cover all my bases.
Just remember that kale is one of the greens that you should be buying organic as kale may contain organophosphate insecticides, which EWG characterizes as “highly toxic” and of special concern.
We all know that cabbage is one of the cruciferous veggies that are so good for us and purple cabbage has an even higher concentration of anthocyanin polyphenols, which are significantly more protective phytonutrients than green cabbage.
Mix up a big batch of this (the recipe makes a large batch). It will keep well for days.
- 3 bunches organic kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 head red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In large bowl, toss together all ingredients. Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 lemons, juice from
- 2 tablespoons honey (not vegan) or liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Himalayan salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients in high-speed blender and blend until smooth.