Radicchio, Fennel and Orange Healthy Dinner Salad with Tahini Dressing
Greens. The thing we need the most of and eat the least of. Greens are your “super food”. And what better way to enjoy greens than a raw healthy dinner salad!
Greens Nutrient Hit List
- Greens are full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and plant-based phytonutrients that help protect you from heart disease, inflammation, and diabetes.
- Greens have been shown to cut your risk of skin cancer by 50%, (see: Plant Based Prevention).
- They also help fight many other cancers. And greens are the perfect starter for a healthy dinner salad.
In this recipe, we are using a “green” that is actually purple, radicchio. A member of the chicory family, radicchio is high in antioxidants, phytonutrients, it’s also a great source of selenium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, B-vitamins, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E and folate.
I combined radicchio with fennel and orange in this hearty salad. The tahini dressing bridges the flavors and creates the perfect balance between bitter and sweet. I hope this will be one of your favorites. For more information of the health benefits of fennel, click here: Fennel.
- 1 medium bulb fennel
- 1 large head radicchio
- 3 mandarin oranges, peeled, sectioned and halved
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ground pepper
- Chop fennel and radicchio. Mix together with mandarin slices and walnuts.
- Pour dressing over salad mixture and toss. Top with a grind of fresh pepper.
Maple Tahini Dressing
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, or liquid sweetener of choice
- pinch Himalayan Salt (optional)
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Pour over slaw and mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let flavors meld.