Raw Almond Joy Bars
Today’s post was supposed to be about buckwheat. I have been soaking, sprouting, and grinding all week. I was just about to start putting together the buckwheat recipes when a member of the Rawmazing Facebook Group posted this recipe for almond joy bars and challenged me to make it raw. I took a quick look and snap. So much for the buckwheat!
The “crust” for these almond joy bars is a wonderful layer of almond butter and cacao powder. I used raw, organic coconut crystals for sweetening as I am really trying to keep my sweeteners as close to the source as possible. Plus they have a wonderful deep flavor. Not unlike molasses or brown sugar.
This is a pretty easy make….have at it and have fun! As with all desserts, these recipes are very calorie dense. I am not the person who is going to tell you that you can eat a raw dessert for breakfast. But as a tasty, sweet treat, raw desserts are full of healthy nutrients that typical desserts just don’t have.
- 3/4 cup raw almond butter (I make my own from this recipe: Almond Butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup raw coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch Himalayan salt
- Whisk all ingredients together and pour into oiled, parchment lined 8 x 8-inch glass pan. Set in refrigerator aside making topping. The bottom layer should be set up (but not completely hard) before adding the next layer.
- 2 cups of dried, unsweetened, raw coconut
- 2/3 cup coconut butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons raw agave nectar (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1-2 teaspoons organic almond flavoring (not raw)
- Place coconut in medium bowl.
- Whisk coconut butter (not the same as coconut oil), agave and almond flavor. Pour over coconut and mix well.
- Pat over first layer, top with chopped almonds and ganache. (see below)
- Refrigerate to set.
- 1/3 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
Ganache (recipe here)
jessica wrote on August 2, 2016
wheres the ganache recipe
Susan wrote on August 2, 2016
Hi, Jessica, If you look at the end of the recipe there is a link for the ganache. It says ganache and then, click here. Cheers!