Zucchini Chips with Ranch Dipping Sauce
No Fried Food Here!
When my sweetie came home and I presented him with this tray of zucchini chips and ranch dipping sauce, he held up his hand and said, “I really don’t like fried foods, honey”. What a great surprise for him. Not only are these not fried, they are raw, vegan, gluten and oil free! They also come with a delicious oil free ranch dipping sauce.
The “breading” is an almond flour with some kicking spices (you can certainly dial back), and the ranch dipping sauce is made from almond “buttermilk” and cashews, in the spirit of traditional ranch recipe’s ingredients.
These are easy to make and come together nicely in the dehydrator. Don’t have a dehydrator? This is one recipe that can easily adapt to the oven. Just put it on the lowest temp and watch for doneness. Just remember, it is difficult to keep it raw in the oven but if that isn’t your first concern, go for it!
- 1 cup dried almond pulp or almond flour (there is a great tutorial on making almond flour here: Almond Flour)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- a few grinds fresh pepper
- Stir all ingredients together in bowl.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- fresh almond milk (or other nut-milk)
- breading (see recipe above)
- Dip zucchini slice in almond milk.
- Dip in breading.
- Place on dehydrator screen and dehydrate at 145 degrees for one hour*. Lower temp and finish dehydrating until soft. Approximately 8 – 10 hours.
- Alternatively (not raw), place on baking sheet and bake at your oven’s lowest temp. Check for doneness frequently.
Ranch Dipping Sauce
Almond “Butter” Milk
- 1 cup fresh almond milk
- 2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
- Stir vinegar into almond milk. Let sit for 10 minutes to develop.
- 1 cup cashews, soaked until soft
- 1 cup almond “buttermilk”
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
- few grinds fresh pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Place all ingredients except for chives in high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Stir in chives. Serve with Zucchini Chips.