Raw Food Appetizers: Walnut Cranberry Crackers
What do you get when you put together walnuts, cranberries, oranges and flax seeds? Super healthy raw food crackers that are festive and full of flavor! These beauties are packed with nutrients and are perfect for your raw holiday table. Pair them with the Cranberry Orange Spread and you have a healthy, raw food holiday treat that is great for entertaining or just family snacking.
Walnuts are considered to be one of the healthiest nuts available to us. They are loaded with omega 3’s. More benefits include protection of your cardiovascular system, support of your cognitive function, and immune system. They are anti-inflammatory, and also have many cancer preventing properties.
Cranberries are off the charts with the benefits they provide. Scientific studies have shown that they are good for your heart, full of anti-oxidant, and can help prevent both urinary infection and yeast infections. But did you know that they can help elevate your HDL (good) cholesterol and lower your bad cholesterol. They are anti bacterial and also help with oral and gastrointestinal health.
You can serve these crackers to your family and guests, knowing that you are not only providing them with great nutrients, but also tons of flavor!
- 4 cups walnuts (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup ground flax
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup orange juice (from fresh oranges)
- 1/4 cup agave (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
- Place roughly chopped cranberries in bag with orange juice and 1/4 cup raw agave. Marinate for 2 hours.
- Place walnuts in food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add cranberries, agave and orange juice and pulse until cranberries are well combined. Add flax and pulse until combined.
- Spread on non-stick sheets about 1/4 inch. Score. Dehydrate at 145 for 45 minutes then 116 for 3 hours. Peel off sheets and continue to dry until done. (6-8 more hours).
Cranberry Orange Spread
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 1/2 cup flesh from young coconut
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 6 hours, drained
- 3 tablespoons agave
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Place cranberries in processor and coarsely chop. Remove from processor and set aside.
- Place cashews, coconut flesh, orange juice, orange zest and agave in food processor. Process until very blended.
- Remove and stir in chopped cranberries.