Raw, Vegan BLT!
I used to love it when my mom made BLT’s for dinner. My mom was quite the cook and dinner was usually a fully cooked, pretty elaborate meal. Having a sandwich for dinner was not the norm and signified a more relaxed dinner.
I have been wanting to make a raw, vegan BLT for quite some time. Having tried many different recipes for a raw bread, I finally came up with one that reminds me of the wheat bread I miss. No, it is not gluten free, as I am using wheat berries and I don’t have a substitution yet. But I will work on it. Eggplant bacon, tomato and a avocado “butter” round out this sandwich. You can certainly substitute plain avocados for the avocado butter if you choose.
Honey Wheat Bread
- 2 cups wheat berries, sprouted and ground into flour
- 1 cup zucchini puree
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon honey (or agave for vegan version)
- 1 cup ground flax
- To make flour: Soak wheat berries for 24 hours, then rinse 2 x a day until small tails sprout. Dehydrate at 116 degrees until dry. Grind into flour.
- In food processor, place apple, zucchini puree and honey. Process until a puree is achieved.
- Mix together flour and ground flax.
- Stir puree mixture into flour mixture.
- Spread 1/4 inch thick on non-stick dehydrator sheets. Score mixture into bread sized squares. Dehydrate at 140 degrees for 1 hour, turn down heat and dehydrate at 116 degrees until tops are dry.
- Flip over, remove non-stick sheet and continue to dry. You want to make sure the bread dries but stays soft so, check and don’t over dehydrate.
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked until soft
- pinch Himalayan salt
- pinch black pepper
- pinch ground chipotle
- Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until well blended.
- See Recipe: Eggplant Bacon
- Raw Honey Wheat Bread
- Cashew Butter
- Eggplant Bacon
- Layer ingredients on bread to create sandwich!
Anne wrote on July 20, 2015
How much bread does the above recipe make? How long will it stay fresh?
Alan wrote on December 5, 2014
I already have the flour ground. Do you know the amount of flour I need for this?
Mary wrote on May 15, 2014
How do you make zucchini puree for this recipe?
Susan wrote on May 17, 2014
Place the zucchini in a food process and puree. Cheers!