Raw Food Chard Roll
Swiss Chard is one of the super-stars of the greens world. Packed with vitamin K, vitamin A and vitamin C, it is also a great source of magnesium, potassium, iron, vitamin E, and fiber! You will also find a good source of copper, calcium, vitamin B2, and B6. Don’t forget the protein, B1, zinc, folate, biotin, niacin and pantothenic acid! Seriously. We need to eat this veggie!
These raw food recipe for wraps are so easy to throw together, have great flavor and are super healthy. There are lots of veggies plus a tasty creamy avocado sauce that uses no nuts. The addition of jicama adds a great crunch and a beautiful touch of sweetness to balance the chard. Even your kids are going to love these. One more raw food recipe that requires no dehydrator!
MAKES 4 ROLLS
- 4 large chard leaves, rinsed and dry
- 2 avocados
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle spice
- Himalyan Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups jicama, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (optional)
- Place avocados, lemon juice, chipotle, salt and pepper in food processor.
- Process until creamy and transfer to large bowl.
- In food processor, chop (each separately) by pulsing, the jicama, carrot, onion. Add to bowl with avocado mixture.
- Hand chop the tomato. Stir into avocado mixture.
- Lay the chard leaf flat. Spoon filling into one end of the leaf. Roll.
*Chef’s note: you will want to remove the center stem from the chard leaf.
Beth B wrote on February 5, 2015
Made these today and did not have jicama….it is hard to get here on the North East Coast….so I subbed broccoli stem, and I added chili powder because I don’t have chipotle spice, and I used a purple onion instead of a sweet one, plus added a small bit of garlic….YUM!!! TY for the inspiration and the recipe! I would attach a pic if I could! 🙂