Raw Strawberry Coconut Cream Pie
Summer and strawberries. What a great combination. A friend of mine dropped off a very large box of strawberries the other day and the fun began. I have been having spinach-strawberry balsamic salads, putting strawberries in green drinks and just eating them by the dozens! Noticing that the rest of the strawberries needed to be used now, I decided to put together a recipe for a strawberry cream pie! The crust is a delicious combination of macadamia nuts and almonds with coconut while the filling is a light, healthy combination of cashews, coconut meat plus a few more ingredients. The special surprise is the layer of cacao that lines the crust. This recipe uses an 8″ pie plate.
MAKES ONE 8-INCH PIE
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup fine dried coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave (or other liquid sweetener of choice)
- Place macadamia and almonds in the food processor. Process until a coarse meal is achieved.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut and agave. Pulse until blended.
- Spread into an 8″ pie plate. The crust will be sticky so it helps to do this with wet hands.
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted over warm water)
- 1 vanilla bean
- Split Vanilla bean in half and with a table knife, scrape all the pulp out of the inside of the bean.
- Place the vanilla bean scrapings and and the rest of the ingredients into the vitamix. Blend for 2 minutes.
- Spread a layer (you will have quite a bit left over) on the bottom of the crust.
- Place in refrigerator to set.
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 6 hours
- 1 cup coconut meat (from young coconut)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water from young coconut
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- flaked dried coconut
- Split the young coconut and reserve 1/4 cup water. Scrape out the filling.
- Combine all ingredients in vitamix. Process until smooth.
- Place filling in bowl and stir in sliced strawberries.
- Pile filling into chocolate lined crust, top with flaked coconut and refrigerate until set.