Your whole food, plant-based life.

Raw Dreamy Cacao Walnut Bars

I have been fixated on omega 3’s (more on that in a minute). I have also been fixated on creating a new dessert bar recipe (I think you can understand that one). Two fixations came together and these tasty raw cacao walnut bars were born.

First, lets talk omega 3’s. Why the fixation, you ask? Well, they are critical for brain and heart health, fight inflammation,  and reduce your risk of depression amongst other things. Our bodies don’t make them, we need them and vegan diets tend to be heavy on omega 6 and lacking in the 3’s. In fact, an omega 3 deficiency is prevalent in our diets today because of how our food is processed and the dietary choices we make.

One of the first things we think of for Omega 3’s is fish and fish oil. Interestingly enough, with fish being farmed and fed diets of grain instead of their traditional diet of plants and algae, the levels of omega 3 have been seriously declining. But since a raw, vegan diet doesn’t include fish, where else can you get your omega 3’s? Great sources are flax seeds, chia seeds and walnuts!  It is good to note that greens also contain higher levels of omega 3’s so drink your green drinks!

With it’s own antioxidant properties, cacao (chocolate) makes a great pairing with walnuts. I made a quick raw cashew crust (yes you can find raw cashews here), a lovely walnut filling and topped the whole thing off with a tasty, easy cacao ganache. Delicious and filling, these bars shout bakery case…no one will believe they are a healthy raw snack!

For the crust, I used raw cashews from Navitas Naturals. They use a special process to keep the extraction under low heat so they are truly raw. You can find them here: Raw Cashews .

To get a fine flour, I used the dry container for my Vitamix.

To get the finest flour, process the cashews in batches, sift and reprocess the left over chunks with the next batch. You will get a beautiful, fine cashew flour that will mimic a real pastry crust.

*Note: These are very calorie dense. A small bar goes a very long way. I cut them in 1″ squares and that is plenty!!
Share Via
Share with your friends

54 Comments

1. Aen wrote on September 7, 2012

I am thinking I might want to try these for my upcoming birthday . . .

I am not able to use agave, honey, or maple syrup. I usually use dates or fruit or stevia to sweeten. Any ideas of how I could substitute? Thanks!

2. Kathy Moldrem wrote on September 4, 2012

Where do I get Coconut butter? I have not seen it-just all those other butter’s that I don’t use. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

3. Gen wrote on September 1, 2012

Great dessert! I made a couple of substitutions (I didn’t want to have to run to the store) and one addition. I substituted almond flour for the cashews, Coconut Nectar for the agave, and ground flax seeds (only 1/4 cup) for the hemp seeds. Added Organic Wild Bourbon Vanilla Bean Powder (1 tsp.) (purchased from Z Naturals) to the filling. Turned out great! My family loves this dessert and will definitely make again!

4. Susan wrote on August 30, 2012

As stated in the recipe, I used hulled hemp seeds. Cheers!

5. Diana wrote on August 30, 2012

I’m going to make another batch tonight and.ill
    be using hemp hearts.

6. Fashionably Raw wrote on August 29, 2012

Hemp seeds or hearts??
    Love the pics and love the devotion you put into your passion.

7. Ellen Cox wrote on August 28, 2012

Hi… coconut butter? Do you make this or buy this? I live in Calgary Alberta Canada and I don’t think I have seen this? Help? Thanks.

8. NINA DOMENICA wrote on August 24, 2012

Thanks Susan, this recipe is amazing, it will soon be ready my Sorrento walnuts and I absolutely have to prepare it, I think a few bits I could freeze …… eat at Christmas. An embrace of light Italian. But you when you make a trip here in Italy? I host you happy, you just arrive with the plane and we’ll come to take me and my daughter at the airport of Capodichino.

9. Julia wrote on August 23, 2012

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have just made this and it is amazing! I used white chia seeds instead of hemp and it was to die for! My 3 year old had a tantrum as she wanted to eat the whole lot!!! Thank you!!