Simple Raw, Vegan Carrot Ribbons with Creamy Cumin, Lime and Ginger Dressing
At this time of year, I want super easy, raw, vegan dishes that burst with summer flavors! I have no desire to be nesting in the kitchen or dealing with heavy textures or flavors. Salads like this are the best answer. Shave some carrots with your peeler, throw the dressing ingredients in your blender and in minutes, you have a delicious salad worthy of your best company.
I love the flavors in this one. Carrots love cumin which loves ginger, lime and garlic! Some scallions and parsley (or cilantro) finish the salad off beautifully and add that pop of flavor that I love so much.
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked until soft, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 lime, juice from
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped (aprox. 2 teaspoons)
- pinch himalayan salt
- pinch fresh ground pepper
- Place all ingredients except garlic and ginger in high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger to the blender. Pulse until well combined.
- 5 cups carrot ribbons (approximately 4 carrots)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (only the white part)
- 1/2 cup fine dried coconut (not the sweetened kind)
- 2 sprigs cilantro or Italian parsley, roughly chopped.
- dressing (recipe above)
- To make shaved carrots, just use your veggie peeler and peel carrots.
- Toss together the carrots and scallions.
- Pour dressing over carrot mixture and toss to combine.
- Place some of the carrot salad on a plate and top with dried coconut and cilantro. A grind of fresh pepper is always nice, too!
Analida's Ethnic Spoon wrote on September 9, 2016
This looks yummy! I have been looking for more creative uses for cashew cheese other than dips and spreads. Making it this week.
CD wrote on December 1, 2015
This looks beautiful and I definitely want to try it! Do you have a sense of how many carrots it takes to produce 5 cups of carrot ribbons?