Your whole food, plant-based life.

Super Food: Turmeric

I love when information about food, raw food and the relationship between food and health is highlighted in mainstream media. I was watching “Good Morning America” on Friday. Dr. David Servan-Schreiber was talking about his new book, “Anti Cancer, A New Way of Life”. One of the first things that he mentioned was how important it was to make your diet comprised mostly of plants. We already know that here, but what caught my attention was his reference to Turmeric. I have hear that turmeric is a healthy addition to your diet but after listening to Dr. Servan-Schreiber, I was inspired to do some more research and develop a recipe that is based on this “super food”.

Turmeric has been called one of nature’s most powerful healers. It has great anti-inflammatory properties which can address symptoms of arthritis. It is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It is said to be a digestive aid that will settle the stomach. Turmeric contains a rich source of antioxidants that help fight against free radicals. It also is said to have anti-platelet properties that help protect against strokes and heart attacks. Studies have also shown that it has a beneficial effect on the liver.

Since I am in a major snacking mode, I decided to make a raw food turmeric dip. It is quick, easy and contains great healthy properties from the turmeric along with the other ingredients.

Share Via
Share with your friends

55 Comments

1. shail wrote on December 30, 2010

would u like me to post a great recipe with raw turmeric?

• Susan wrote on December 30, 2010

When the forum becomes live in January, that would be a great place for it.

2. ben wrote on December 17, 2010

I’ve been vegetarian since birth & raw for 5 years. Susan, you are one of the most creative raw chefs around. I put you on par with Russell James & Matthew Kenney. Keep up the good work!

3. ben wrote on December 13, 2010

Turmeric is native to India, and Ayurveda, India’s ancient science of well-being, advocates using it liberally for its anti-inflammatory properties. I used two pinches in Susan’s Potato Pancake recipe, and it gave me beautiful golden cakes.

4. Randahl wrote on November 30, 2010

I’d like to add my two bits that turmeric is also good for tendonitis and muscle strains! I discovered turmeric while I was playing Water Polo in college, and after taking a pill or two of it a day, I simply did not get injured…or if I did, I didn’t feel it or see it!

I’d also like to second Susan’s comment about checking Asian grocery stores for young coconuts…granted I have only lived in places where there is a fairly large Asian population (The greater bay areas of CA and FL) but I would wager that if you could FIND an Asian grocery store, you can find at least frozen young coconut flesh, if not the fresh nuts themselves 🙂

As I understand it, some internet stores will ship you a big package (like 10 or so) fresh whole young coconuts if you wanted to go big 😉

5. megan wrote on March 5, 2010

If you are pregant do use turmeric sparingly. It can possibly cause miscarriage because it attacks everything foreign in the body – this possibly includes the unborn child.

6. Marcia wrote on February 11, 2010

Beside all said, i just found out one more benefit: for arthritis – take a glass of raw almond milk warm with 2teaspoon of turmeric, mix and this make miracle!
    My friend is a massage-therapist and begun to feel her fingers with pain as she uses all the time her hands! She already does not feel pain neither swallow –
    – it is great for immune system too!

I have spice and last summer i got many roots at my farmers market and looks like ginger root!
    As i have ginger root plant at my garden and already have been eating my own ginger, i decide to make the same with my turmeric root! I took one – divided each point and plant… Last month after big green leaves came out as a plant, very similar to the ginger leaves (i plant one side the other in very big pots) there was 6 turmeric roots beautiaful ! It is great as fresh and you just grind it and use a spoon as it grated!
    The color is like yellow orange… amazing!
    This is a must try Susan! Thanks!:)

7. do you think organic coconut - the kind you use for cooking, would work in this recipe? wrote on February 4, 2010

I just started eating raw and love it – about 4 weeks now. Going to a party. Thought this would work along with the tomato basil appetizers. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Michele

8. Laura wrote on January 19, 2010

Where do I find turmeric? Can I buy it at my grocery store?

• Susan wrote on January 19, 2010

Yes…it is a spice.

9. Amanda@thegrainsofparadise wrote on January 16, 2010

I had 3 cases of MRSA staph last year. I read countless articles online that Tumeric ( and Manuka Honey ) helps speed up recovery so I gave it a try! The results were amazing! I’ve now been staph free for a year!