Tomato Napoleon with Raw Basil “Cheese”
Food inspires me. Working with the ingredients, smelling them, tasting them, trying to guess what will go with what. I am amazed at how you can have an idea, start throwing some things together and with in a matter of minutes, transform the familiar into something completely new yet wonderful. It is a transition from the unknown to the known. Plus we get to eat it!
As I started writing this post, I was struck by the similarity that life has with creating food. We are in a time of huge transition. The whole planet is finally waking up, looking around and saying, Man…we have really created a mess here.
The amazing thing is that with this recognition things start to happen. People are becoming more aware of how they live. We are no longer taking everything for granted and living with a mentality of excess. Living Green is becoming main stream. We are aware of the benefits of local foods and sustainable farming. We are becoming aware of our carbon footprint. We are even becoming aware of what we eat and how it is affecting our health.
We are taking the ingredients and combining them in a whole new way. A less complex, but more meaningful way. Respect is being developed and attention is being paid. The new meal is being made and while it is simple, the flavor is divine.
This little tomato Napoleon is quite simple but delicious. A quick and easy basil cashew “cheese” is combined with the layers of tomato and zucchini. It is a great end of summer treat.
For each Napoleon you will need:
- 1 small tomato
- 2 slices zucchini (the same size as the tomato)
- basil cashew cheese spread
- basil oil
- Cut the tomato in thirds.
- Form a patty of the Cashew Cheese the same size as the tomato slice.
- Layer tomato slice, zucchini and cheese, repeat.
- Drizzle basil Oil over top. You can also add balsamic vinegar (highly recommended).
Basil Cashew Cheese Spread
- 1 cup cashews, soaked at least 6 hours
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch salt
- 1 cup basil leaves
- Start food processor. Drop clove of garlic into processor and run until garlic is chopped.
- Add cashews, lemon juice and salt and process until smooth (it will be a little grainy).
- Add basil and pulse until basil is chopped up and combined into cheese.
- 4 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup oil
- Add chopped basil to oil and whisk.