Spinach Tomato Tart
Fall is in the air, the evenings are getting cooler and my dehydrator is humming again! During the summer, dinner is almost always a hearty salad made with fresh finds from the farmer’s market. But as the evenings cool off, I find myself wanting something a little more substantial and the raw food recipes start getting a little more creative!
I made this little tart with the left over tomatoes from the Hearty Heirloom Salad. I love the concentrated flavors of a marinated tomato, so into the dehydrator they went. Once these were done I knew they would make a perfect little tomato tart. The crust is made from almonds and kale (for an extra nutritional punch) and the filling uses cashews, tomatoes and spinach! With a little advanced planning to marinate the tomatoes and dehydrate the kale, these little raw, nutritious tarts come together in a pinch and the flavor is unbelievable! A perfect raw food recipe for dinner tonight, or your entertaining menu! *Day Before Notes: Marinate tomatoes, dehydrate kale, soak cashews.
Perfectly marinated tomatoes!
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, diced fine
- 3 tablespoons Italian herb mix (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme and cracked rosemary from Penzey’s)
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and herb mix.
- Slice tomatoes in half and toss with vinaigrette to coat.
- Place on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 145 for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 115 and finish dehydrating 6-8 hours or until tomatoes are done. (Don’t worry they are still raw. The food temp never goes above 115 degrees)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup kale flakes (dehydrate your kale when you are dehydrating the tomatoes)
- pinch Himalayan salt and pepper
- To make the kale flakes, dehydrate 2 cups of kale (you can do this when dehydrating the tomatoes) and when completely dry, crush with rolling pin.
- Place almonds in food processor. Process until a fine crumb is achieved.
- Add kale, coconut oil and salt and pepper. Pulse to mix.
- Pat 1/4-inch deep in tart shells. You can use one 9″ tart shell or 4 smaller tart shells.
- 1 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight in the fridge and drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juice from
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cup spinach (crushed by hand)
- 2 cups marinated tomatoes
- Place cashews, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and water in high speed blender. Blend until smooth, remove from blender to bowl.
- Stir in crushed spinach and tomatoes.
- Top with a the remaining two cups of marinated tomatoes and put in refrigerator until set, approximately 1-2 hours.