Eggplant No Fry Veggie Fries!
Who says “fries” have to be deep-fried potatoes? These raw eggplant veggie fries are super simple and so delicious. A quick chop and soak in the marinade and away you go! I made these in my dehydrator but you can certainly experiment with your oven. Just note if you really want them raw the food temperature needs to stay under 115 degrees. Also, ovens do function differently than dehydrators so keep an eye on them if you choose to go that route.
They would make a great side for Raw Mushroom Burgers!
Just a quick note: My favorite mandoline (for slicing) is the Benriner Mandoline . It makes slicing eggplants and other veggies a breeze and is inexpensive. I have seen Benriners used in the top kitchens in the US.
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nama shoyu (or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon raw agave nectar, coconut crystals or other raw sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Cut the slices into 1-inch wide “fries”.
- Place sliced eggplant in bowl.
- Mix all of the rest of the ingredients together, pour over eggplant.
- Marinate over night, stirring occasionally to coat.
- Dehydrate at 145 for 1 hour, reduce heat to 115 and dehydrate until crisp, about 6-8 more hours. (Don’t worry about starting at a higher temperature. The food never gets to that temp and is still raw.)
*Wondering why we start at 145 degrees? Yes, it is still raw…see the FAQ page.