Raw Cacao Pecan Whoopie Pies
I was walking past store the other day and they had whoopie pies in their window. Of course the first thing I thought was, we need a raw food version of those! I got home and set to work, coming up with a cinnamon pecan filling instead of the traditional vanilla one. Full of nutritious ingredients, these make a wonderful treat or dessert. The filling is fast and easy and the actual cookies are easy, too. They do require rolling out and dehydrating so leave yourself time for that.
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (not raw but used frequently in raw desserts)
- Place all dry ingredients in food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Whisk together wet ingredients. Add to dry and process until very well combined. If needed, you can add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Flatten out to a disk shape on non-stick dehydrator sheet. Cover top with wax paper or parchment and roll out to 1/4″ thick. You can pat these into shape also but the dough is really sticky. Cut with a ring cutter. Peel away extra dough leaving circles on tray. Repeat until you have used up the dough.
- Place in dehydrator at 116 for 4 hours. Peel off of non-stick sheet and dehydrate 2-4 more hours. These should be dry but not brittle. A little softness should remain.
- 2 cups soaked pecans, drained (these should be wet for this recipe)
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix in food processor until very well combined. Use for filling between two cookies.