Raw, Vegan Cherry Crisp!
Sometimes there are no words. This was so simple and so delicious I just had to share. Soft, moist and juicy, so close to the real thing.
I haven’t made a “crisp before even though fruit crisps are some of my favorite desserts. I wanted to lighten this one up (not make the “crisp” only from nuts) so I threw in some raw oats. It is so simple. Nuts, oats, berries and a little sweetener. You can get gluten free oats too. The best part of this recipe is that you can throw it in the dehydrator in the morning, and have a wonderful, warm cherry crisp later! Boy, this was good.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 cup flaked, raw oats
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted, chopped
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or liquid sweetener of choice
- Place walnuts and almonds in food processor. Pulse until coarsely ground. Remove to bowl.
- Stir oats into nut mixture.
- Mix together cherries and agave.
- Stir into nut mixture.
- Place in 4 ramekins or small glass bowls. Dehydrate at 145 for 45 minutes (Don’t worry, it is still raw. The food temp never goes above 115), reduce heat to 115 and dehydrate for 5-6 more hours. Serve warm.
*You can get flaked oats here: Sunrise Flour Mill (Tell them we sent you.)
Renay wrote on June 29, 2014
Hi Susan. Thnak you so much for your website and the marvelous recipes and experiences that you share. This is my first time writing, but I’ve been following you for some time and recently bought two of your books! You’ve been a great source of inspiration for me and I am so thankful for being able to learn from you. I was looking at this recipe today and thinking it would make a great crumble topping for my raw ice cream! I love cherries. My question is whether the nuts used are supposed to be soaked and then dehydrated? Or just soaked and drained?
Susan wrote on July 5, 2014
Hi, Renay, This recipe does not call for soaked (wet) nuts. If you want to presoak and dehydrate your nuts for nutritional reasons, that is fine. Cheers!